Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Patrick Swayze RIP

Listened to the Dirty Dancing soundtrack over the weekend... (Had no clue what would happen on the coming Monday)
This is the 2-disc collector's edition issued in 1999. The original soundtrack didn't include the 2nd song featured in the film - Big Girls Don't Cry. The music/film company then released another soundtrack, probably called More Dirty Dancing or something like that.
So the 1st disc is the original soundtrack (which I listened to many times during uni - thanx Daphne!) and the 2nd disc includes the music featured in several of the film scenes, including Kellerman's Anthem.
I bought the above 2-disc soundtrack in Taiwan in 2000/2001. Bought alot of CDs back then, especially non-current releases (ie. old/past albums).

Watched the opening credits of Ghost in June on British TV. Reminded me of the time I watched it in the cinema accidentally. My 2 friends & I actually wanted to watch Problem Child but we ended up watching Ghost instead - can you imagine? From a comedy about a kid to an adult drama about murder & supernatural spirits? When I saw the credits in June, I realised how creepy the credits were (well, the film title is Ghost after all), my friends and I must have literally jumped out of our seats in the dark cinema when the word GHOST appeared onscreen, due to the sheer scariness and being caught off guard since we were expecting Problem Child.

Have just watched 東邪西毒:終極版 aka Ashes of Time Redux on DVD recently.
I never realised that my favourite film of all time 重慶森林 Chungking Express was actually a by-product of the former film. The director decided to make Chungking Express while he was taking a break from editing 東邪西毒. So 重慶森林 arised from Ashes of Time :)
Twas a poignant experience cos the lead actor was Leslie Cheung 張國榮 who has also passed away like Patrick Swayze. His year of death was the same as my mother's.

東邪西毒 & 重慶森林 were the last films that Brigitte Lin 林青霞 appeared in. She retired after that.
Faye Wong 王菲 (Chungking Express) has also retired. Both Brigitte Lin & Faye Wong married and started families.
Maggie Cheung 張曼玉 (Special appearance in Ashes of Time Redux) has also retired from films. (though she's not married)
I miss watching these iconic actresses on the big screen, especially in the traditionally male-dominated film industry.

No comments: